Eight Years In The Big House For Tony Demers

In almost all ways, Tony Demers, who played for the Montreal Canadiens from 1937 to 1943, was just another in a long line of Habs who have come and gone and are mostly forgotten now because they were never Richard or Beliveau or Lafleur.

But unlike most others who at one point in the lives had that cup of coffee in the bigs, Demers carried a slight twist to his story, one that is rarely discussed, and it’s a story with details that remain sketchy even today.

The beginning is about hockey.

In my house, I have a really nice photo of Demers posing with the Rocket and Elmer Lach on a line, so they gave him a shot with the big boys, I suppose. He looked like a guy poised to replace Toe Blake at some point on the Punch Line.

But Demers played parts of just five seasons in Montreal as he bounced up and down from the minors. He scored only 20 goals total, and was no star, not by a long shot. His short career ended during the 1943-44 season when he played one game with the New York Rangers, and that was that.

Sort of.

In 1945, Demers was fined for an assault on a hotel keeper. Then, the next year while playing senior hockey in Sherbrooke, he became involved in a gambling situation and was given a ten-game suspension. Things were bad up to this point, but they were about to get worse.

In 1949, Demers was hauled in to the police station regarding the death of a woman who was later revealed to be Demers’ girlfriend. The story issued was that the two had been drinking heavily, they had gotten into an argument, and that he had hit her. Hospital officials, though, said it was more than a simple hit, it was a thorough beating. Demers claimed she had gotten all her bruises from jumping from his moving car. And he didn’t take the unconscious woman to the hospital until the following day which was far too late, and tragically, the lady passed away.

The court didn’t buy the ‘jumping from the car’ story and Tony Demers was found guilty of manslaughter, given 15 years in the maximum security St. Vincent de Paul penitentiary in Montreal and he served eight years of the fifteen before being released.

In the late 1980s, while I was living in Ottawa, it was announced that this notorious St. Vincent de Paul was finally closing its doors after about 100 years, and the public was invited to tour the closed prison for a dollar. So I took my family to Montreal for the day to have a look.

The penitentiary was a horrendous place. They had left the cells the way they were, so clothes, writings, and graffiti on the walls were there as they had been. It was dirty and dark and my kids were nervous. I think it might have set them on the straight and narrow from that day on.

In Roger Caron’s book Go Boy, he described St. Vincent’s as the meanest and most dangerous prison in Canada, and he knew what he was writing about because he had served most of his adult life in different institutions across the country. It was a prison that had served its brutal purpose and was no longer useful.

It just didn’t seem a fitting place for a hockey hero but for Tony Demers, it was. So while the Rocket, Blake, and Lach thrilled the Forum faithful with big goals and Stanley Cups, an old teammate, one who had once shared the dressing room, train rides, restaurants, and hotels, sat in a dark cell inside Canada’s worst prison, maybe listening from time to time on the radio as his old friends carried on.

Demers went mostly into obscurity after his release eight years later, did some youth coaching from time to time, and eventually died in 1997. It has to be one of the sadder stories in the 100 year saga of the Montreal Canadiens.

10 thoughts on “Eight Years In The Big House For Tony Demers”

  1. Thanks Danno. It’s a great documentary. And that young boy in the beginning could easily have been me. The sweater, the hockey cards, the freckles, the Rocket. Touches my heart.

  2. Thanks for the story….awesome stuff! going from the “almost” Punch Line on the Habs to the worst pen in Canada….can you imagine what went through his mind in all those years!

  3. Interesting article, though it contains inaccuracies and is missing key information.

    Demers was “involved in a gambling situation” in the spring of 1949, not in 1946 as the article suggests. He was in fact going to serve his suspension at the beginning of the 1949-50 season, but of course he ended up serving a more serious sentence.

    The quote “The court didn’t buy the “jumping from the car” story” is misleading, because even though that was his first excuse (to the police), he had admitted by the time of the trial that he had hit Ms. Anita Robert (once).

    And, while this absolutely does not excuse what he did, five doctors testified at the trial that if the woman had received proper treatment once he did take her to the hospital, she probably would have survived.

    The judge wanted capital punishment for premeditated murder, but the jury found him guilty of involuntary manslaughter and “begged” the judge for clemency in his sentencing.

    Demers became a “model prisoner”, being put in charge of sports activities at the St. Vincent-de-Paul penitentiary. After being released, he led an exemplary life, even becoming secretary of his local chapter of the Knights of Columbus. He worked at the same place (Sifto) 20 years, the last 17 as superintendant.

  4. Thanks JP. I never said he was a bad guy, although I know an old fellow who grew up in Sherbrooke and was around when the Demers things happened, and he claims what Demers did was much worse than just hitting the lady once. In fact, what the old fellow said is quite gruesome.

  5. Understand. Drunkenness is not an excuse for anything, so I’m not making any excuses for him. Just wanted it to be known that he turned his life around after that terrible event. At that time, he had a very serious drinking problem, which becomes very clear when you read the day-to-day reports on the trial from the Sherbrooke newspaper. It cost him his NHL career (he was injured in a car accident during his best NHL season) but more importantly it cost Anita Robert her life.

  6. Thanks JP. I think he also did some minor pro coaching in later years. It was certainly a tragedy. I would very much like to read the trial reports from then as I’ve always been curious about the Demers story and have wanted to learn more .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *